GENERAL STUDIES- I (250 MARKS)
Indian Heritage and Culture, History & Geography of the World and Society) General Studies Paper 1
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
(Reference: The wonder that was India Vol 1 & 2 – A.L Balsham / S.S Rizvi, Introduction to Indian Art – NCERT, CCRT Website)
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
(Reference: History of Modern India – Bipan Chandra, History of Modern India – Grover & Grover) for General Studies Paper 1
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
(Reference: India’s struggle for Independence, SumitSarkar – Modern India) General Studies Paper 1
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
(Reference: India Since Independence – Bipan Chandra, NCERT) General Studies Paper 1
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.-their forms and effect on the society.
(Reference: Class 11 &12 -NCERT) General Studies Paper 1
Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society, Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
(Reference: NCERT books on sociology for class 11&12, Indian Society – S.C Dubey) General Studies Paper 1
Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world(including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sec-tor industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geo-graphical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
- (Reference: NCERT Class 11 & 12, Certificate in physical & Human geography – Goh Cheng Leong, Geography made simple – Economic and Human geography)