UNESCO’s honour list
UNESCO’s list of honour.
- GS Prelims, Facts for prelims
- Art and Culture, UNESCO world heritage, UNESCO’s list of honour
UNESCO declared –
- The art of Neapolitan pizza-making as a world heritage.
- UNESCO accepted the art of Neapolitan “pizzaiuoli”, or pizza-makers, on the world body’s list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- Italy argued the practice of the “pizzaiuoli” — preparing and flipping the dough, topping it and baking it in a wood-fired oven — was part of the country’s cultural and gastronomic tradition.
- Tradition holds that the Margherita pizza was created in 1889 by a local chef in honour of Queen Margherita, who was visiting Naples, south of Rome on Italy’s Tyrrhenian coast.
UNESCO also accepted on its Culture list the following:-
- Chogan, an Iranian horse-riding game accompanied by music and storytelling,
- The craft of millers operating windmills and watermills in the Netherlands,
- Traditional boat making on the Indonesian island of South Sulawesi, and
- Nsima, a maize-based culinary tradition from the African country of Malawi.
UNESCO’s honour list – UNESCO’s honour list – UNESCO’s honour list – UNESCO’s honour list
The listing was announced at the 40th session of the WHC, currently under way at Istanbul in Turkey. The KNP is the first ‘mixed’ heritage site from India to make it to the list. A ‘mixed site’ exhibits qualities of both natural and cultural significance.
Earlier, the archaeological site of Nalanda Mahavihara (Nalanda University) in Bihar was also marked as a heritage site. The Capitol Complex in Chandigarh also made it to the list, thus bringing all three nominations this session into the heritage roll of honour.